Friday, March 19, 2010

Opportunity Awaits

So here is the update on work. I am no longer employed by Morgans Hotel Group and the Mondrian Hotel. The Mondrian Scottsdale no longer exists. The hotel property is currently owned by "the bank" and rather than keep MHG on as the management company, a new management company has been hired to run the hotel. The transition officially occurred on Tuesday, March 17th, while I was in California trying to enjoy a short vacation/brain break. With a foreclosure and potential lay off in sight, it's difficult to relax, right?

Anyway, I got to work on Thursday to fill out my new employee paperwork with the new management company. But, turns out, the company is closing the spa. So I'm no longer Spa Supervisor and there is no longer an Agua Spa of Scottsdale. I have been assigned as the "go-to girl at the hotel" which basically means that I have no assigned department yet. So basically, I feel like I'm unemployed.

Of course, I was pissed. I had stuck it out with the company wishing and hoping I would be able to continue to manage the spa and stay with the hospitality industry for a but longer. But now, I'm kind of over it. The hotel biz isn't what I want to do. Besides, I enjoy not working holidays. So now, I'm going to take this as a sign; an opportunity to get my life headed in the direction I want it to: Event Planning and Designing.

I need to start putting my feet in the water. I want to gain experience in the field so that I can be a more desirable candidate when I'm ready to commit to planning when school is done and gone. I plan on moving relatively soon to someplace I don't know where, so I think now is a good time to start enjoying things. I feel like I've been miserable for so long that I should reward myself by applying to jobs with event planning companies and teams. Don't you think? Ok, good. Since we're living in the digital age, I decided to create a "professional blog." I'm still working on it, so don't get too excited. I'll post the link when it's ready for its debut.

Until then, peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment