Tuesday, June 22, 2010

For future reference...

Ok people. I work in the hospitality industry. And right now I'm workin' the Front Desk. I wanted to give you all a few pointers about being a good hotel guest. And believe me, I value and acknowledge exceptional service when staying at a hotel, but there comes a point where you don't need to be a nasty guest just because you don't get what you want.

As Front Desk, this is what I deal with:
-all check ins and check outs
- guest requests i.e. having your room cleaned, you need toothpaste, or you can't find your car keys and you want everyone in the entire hotel to help you look for them even though they're in a pocket in your purse (don't ask)
- direct billing/charging
- room blocking, upgrading and requests
- ALL COMPLAINTS
For instance, if your tub isn't draining properly, it's not my fault. It's not anyone's fault. So please do not yell at me.
For instance, if you have a burnt out lightbulb, not my fault, do not yell at me.
For instance, your food tasted nasty or you didn't like your server, not my fault. Don't yell at me.
For instance, your room smelled horribly after you took a dump. Do not yell at me. You're disgusting and it's not my problem your doody smells.

However, guests call the Front Office to complain in hopes we will comp them their internet, room service, or perhaps give them a complimentary breakfast buffet. Get a grip and stop harassing me.

So please, when you're a guest at a hotel, remember me. Remember me and all I deal with. Remember that I am not your slave. Remember that I am human.

Before you yell at someone at Front Desk, think about why you're upset and who caused it. Who's fault is it? However, by all means, if the Front Desk agent is giving you major attitude and would prefer to do nothing for you than something at all, yell at them and make them feel like they're not doing their job, because they're obviously not.

Some other pointers: we love compliments given to management, whether verbal or written. We enjoy when you say our name (check the name tag). Try to be as empathic as the Front Desk agent.

That's all for now. I have to radio Housekeeping to plunge a clogged toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment