Saturday, January 29, 2011

Christmas

I don't have any pictures from Christmas. I don't know how I did this, but I forgot my camera in Colorado! What a dumbie. Mom, Dad, Lyss, Kathe and Ele and Michelle took pics, so hopefully I can get some from them...

Anyway, a few weeks before Christmas, Andrew and I noticed some white things inside Leroi's mouth... wart-like things. After doing some simple internet research, we discovered he had gotten "Oral Papillomas." Quite common in dogs younger than 2 years, it is spread dog-to-dog from coming in contact with an infected dog's mouth/saliva. It's obviously contagious to other dogs... which posed MASSIVE concern because Leroi was supposed to be boarded while Andrew and I were away for Christmas. Long story short, we monitored Leroi, had him vaccinated with his latest boosters, took him to the vet to see if there was anything we could give him (but of course not because it's a virus). Good thing is that these things go away on their own, but we needed to speed up this process. Since I'm very familiar with cold sores on my lip, I decided to start giving Leroi Lysine... an amino acid that helps in tissue maintenance. The vet said it wouldn't hurt. We also started giving him multivitamins once a day and then a Vitamin C tablet once or twice a week (VC gives Leroi diarrhea). Within a few weeks, the papillomas were GONE! We were saved for boarding him!

So we spent 2.5 days in Cali with my family... which was awesome but short-lived. And then on Christmas afternoon, we flew to Indianapolis to be with Andrew's family. While in Cali, I started coming down with a cough... which I was crossing my fingers wouldn't fully hit until after our Xmas travels... but when I got to Indy, it got worse. Real worse. Long story short, I got really sick in Indy. Andrew made a doctor's appointment for me for the same day we got back to Denver. I went to the doc and had a 102 fever, bronchitis (which I knew I had), sinus infection, ear infection, and my asthma made a turn for the worst and was called "severe." My doc wanted me on 3 different inhalers, an antibiotic for the sinuses, antibiotic for the bronchitis, and an antibiotic to make sure I didn't get any other infection. It was real bad. So instead of spreading holiday cheer, I spread germs. All the Ogles pretty much got sick except for Andrew and Tim... immune systems of steel!

Christmas was still a great time though. To be honest, I don't think I can travel like I did going from DEN to OC to INDY and then back to DEN. It was a little strenuous on my health, especially when I get sick every year over Christmas/New Year. We'll see what happens next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment