Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why is a man-hole round?

When I came back to Cali to find a job, I got in late on a Thursday night, hung out with family on Friday and after the weekend, I applied to multiple jobs on Monday. By the end of Monday, I had 3 interviews set up. Awesome! So the first two were on Tuesday, which were great and they went really well. And then my third one was on Thursday of last week for the event coordinator position. When the interview was scheduled, it was scheduled through email by a basic thing saying "Dear Applicant..." blah blah blah. I was given a date and time to be there and was told to confirm. Along with the date and time, I was told to not arrive more than 5 minutes early and "dress business casually like you would in a social yet professional atmosphere (office attire is not always the best attire for this position)." I was also told that this was a "Step One" interview that will last 15 minutes to get to know my social skills and how I interact with other people, since "this is a very important aspect of event coordinating."

So I get to this interview and walk in 4 minutes early and this guy jumps out from behind a wall and scares the crap outta' me. He invited me into his office, asked me to sit down, and then slid a piece of paper across his desk my way and said "please fill out as necessary." It was sheet of paper, printed landscape style, that said "Print Name: __________________________" and underneath "Sign Name: _______________________." So I printed and I signed and slid the paper back across the desk. This is where it gets REALLY weird.

"So a client has an open bar tab of $100. He would like to close that tab. Sales tax is 8.75%. How much will you charge his credit card without gratuity?"

Now, I'm not the best at math. I can't run numbers in my head. If I can't have a calculator, I need a piece of paper and pencil so I can see the math problem and work it out. I'm a creative, social person. Not a math and science wiz. Anyway, I confirmed "Am I allowed a calculator or piece of paper to assist me?" His response, "no." So I answered the problem because it was easy, but the other ones weren't. He asked me the total for a $129 tab with 21% gratuity and 8.75% sales tax. So before I knew it, I was spitting out numbers like a stock broker. All incorrect, I'm sure. So after 15 minutes of being questioned mathematic equations, which may I say, has NOTHING to do with the position of event coordinator, he said "Ok, I have one final question for you." And I said, "wonderful." When the all-mighty stumping question of all stumping questions came out.

"Why is a man-hole round?"

I cocked my head just like a dog would when they're confused. And I said, "Do you prefer I let you answer that or should I guess?" He said "just take a stab at it." My response? "Because it has no corners."

He so intelligently let me know that Microsoft asks these types of questions in their interviews. What I wanted to say was "I'm sorry, I applied for an event coordinator position with a charter yacht company, not for Microsoft." But I didn't, sadly. He asked me if I have any questions for him. I asked him the basic questions like "what makes your company stand out compared to your competitors?" His answer: "because we're the best." So I said, "ok then."

I wanted to ask him, how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? But I didn't do that either, sadly.

Anyway, it was the WORST interview I've ever been on. And I think I'm pretty good interviewer. But NEVER have I been through an interview like that. Not even for a minimum wage paying job. Like... really? Really pal?

And he was SOOOOO douchey. Super egotistical and ALL about himself.

That's my interview story. I hope you enjoyed.

Love and hugs,
Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment